He causes us to remember his wonderful works. How gracious and merciful is our Lord! (Psalm 111:4 NLT)
Dear Friends and Family,
A very happy new year to you! God has carried us through 2018 by his grace, and we have so much to give him thanks for as we enter 2019. Here are our top 11 highlights from 2018 where we have particularly seen God’s grace to us this year. Each one represents your prayers for us answered, and we are so grateful for you. These are in no particular order.
1. Christmas — thank you for praying for us as we spent the holidays away from our biological family. God answered by providing Christian family for us to celebrate Christmas with. We so enjoyed hosting Christmas dinner for a few friends! To us this represents how God provides for us, surrounds us with love, and gives us people to love wherever we are. We also enjoyed the gift of having a few days off at Christmas for the first time in many years.
2. Church Community — thank you for praying that we would find a good church close to where we live. God answered by leading us to a church that is a great fit for us. We love serving with our church community, hearing God’s Word so faithfully preached, and experiencing the love of God’s people there. What a wonderful work of God.
3. Settling into New Roles and Life — thank you for praying for our transition into our new lives and roles. God answered by giving us a deep love for the place we live and the community around us. God has given us such a great team to work with who are so committed to delivering quality training for Wycliffe folk and others involved in cross-cultural ministry. We’ve loved finding ways to nurture and support them this year. And we’ve loved introducing avenues to share ideas and develop professionally too – like the inaugural Bruce Hooley dinner and lecture, a conference on partnership, and an academic colloquium. God has blessed us more than we could have imagined.
4. Graham’s Travel – Thank you for praying for all of the times Graham has traveled this past year. God answered every one of our prayers for travelling mercies and protection, and we praise him for that. And God also used the SILA, Wycliffe and church communities to support Ellie while Graham was away. We are so grateful. Graham considers it a privilege to travel and meet such incredible people who are so committed to Bible translation around the world. His travels to represent SILA have helped him to see how SILA fits in the bigger picture of what God is doing in the world.
5. Reunions — thank you for praying for our relationships with others, especially over the distance. God has answered by blessing us with many sweet reunions this year. We loved having Ellie’s high school friend Nora here over the summer to teach with Graham — it was so fun to show her a taste of Australia. Graham loved seeing our Papuan bosses and some of our Indonesian colleagues at the various conferences he’s attended. He also enjoyed seeing Ellie’s folks and some of our Chicago-based friends when he was able to squeeze in a layover in between international conferences. We have enjoyed catching up with friends who live in Melbourne. We also loved visiting Brisbane and being reunited with friends, our churches there, and our Brisbane-based family. Reunions remind us that God has brought such remarkable people into our lives wherever we have lived. And in Christ, no goodbye is truly forever. May the Lord cross our paths with yours soon!
6. Ellie’s Improved Health — thank you for your many prayers for Ellie’s health, and for wisdom regarding her medical treatment. We praise the Lord that Ellie is breathing better now than she has in the past 5 years. We thank the Lord for answering our prayers and working through Ellie’s new specialist and doctor. She’s enjoyed 3 whole months of free breathing, and her asthma is now back under control. There were no hospital stays or emergency room visits this year, and for that we are so, so thankful.
7. Mentoring and Praying with Others — thank you for your prayers that we would be a blessing to those we have the privilege of walking alongside and praying for them. God has answered by giving us so many wonderful opportunities. A particular highlight this year has been Belinda, who asked Ellie to mentor her this year. Belinda is the current coordinator for the Papuan Malay (PM) translation team, a project that is near and dear to our hearts as we were part of the original PM survey team in 2007. Belinda has been such a gift. It is encouraging to hear more about how the PM team is going, and to even have a tiny part of God’s continuing work in that project is an incredible privilege. Belinda has a beautiful heart to serve God, a commitment and a desire to support the PM team, and has seen God working in miraculous ways in her context.
Thankfully, the feeling is mutual too. In her last newsletter, Belinda wrote, “God gave me the gift of a wonderful mentor… Ellie was part of the original Papuan Malay survey team in 2007! I’ve been truly amazed at how God has used her during our monthly Skype chats to impart cultural and spiritual insight into various challenges I’m facing. I thank God for the blessing Ellie is to me and our ministry!”
What a great answer to prayer! We praise God for this wonderful gift.
8. Progress in Papuan Malay — thank you for continuing to pray for the Papuan Malay Bible translation team. God has answered by giving the team great progress in Bible translation and story telling. Christian bookstores are regularly selling out of the PM materials delivered to them, a good indication that demand for the Scripture portions in PM remains high. There are now PM booklet versions of the Joseph story, the Book of Ruth, the Book of Jonah, the Good Samaritan, the Lost Son, and the Resurrection of Jesus. PM Sunday School curriculum materials have been printed and continue to sell well, and training provided to teachers has been powerfully used by God. The PM Gospel of Luke has been finished, and the The PM Jesus film continues to have a great impact. Checks are continuing for the book of Acts. And the PM Bible storying team has finished 26 stories and are preparing to film them in February. This progress is a delight to our hearts, and we believe to God’s heart too.
9. Hospitality — thank you for joining our prayers that we would be able to equip and support 100 people to make and grow disciples of Jesus through Bible translation, literacy, cross-cultural ministry, training and consulting. One of the ways God has answered is by enabling us to extend hospitality to many people in ministry this year. It has been a highlight to hear about what God is doing all around the world, to encourage people in their ministry, and to build and strengthen relationships. This has been one of the biggest ways God has encouraged us in our faith this year.
10. Time and Space to Engage in God’s Creation — Thank you for your prayers that God would help us to enjoy life as we work, and that God would give us eyes to see the reminders of his goodness around us. God truly has blessed us with an amazingly beautiful place to live. We still can’t believe how stunning our view is, how close the kangaroos come to our door, how diverse and colourful are the birds around us, and how close we are to good bush walking. We have enjoyed exploring some of the nature reserves close to us, and bushwalking at King Lake, the Grampians and the Yarra Ranges. And of course, our community garden plot also continues to remind us of the goodness of our Creator!
11. God’s Provision — thank you for your prayer that God would provide for us. God is answering, and we have seen God’s amazing provision through you this year. At the start of the year, our support was averaging about half of what we needed to live. God convicted us that we needed to be better communicators and more faithful partners to you all. As God has provided us the space and time we have needed to improve our communication with you, and as we have become more faithful to God and you in this, we have seen God’s faithfulness in moving people like you to respond. As of the start of December, God has provided 90% of the funding we’ve needed for the year. And we look forward to seeing him fully fund us in the coming year. God’s provision is definitely a highlight of our year.
What are some of your highlights from this year? We’d love to hear from you. And you are welcome to come and tell us in person and avail yourself to our guest room!
We are so, so thankful for you. Thank you for being in this together with us. Thank you for sharing the privilege of being involved in God’s work through Bible translation. Thank you for your interest, your prayers, and for sharing what God gives you with us. You are such a blessing to us and we pray that God will bless you with all that you need for growing faith, sufficient grace, overflowing love, and abundant life in 2019. A very happy new year to you!
Lots of love,
Graham and Ellie
We’re praising God for:
- God’s faithfulness to us in 2018 as listed in the 11 highlights above
We’re praying for:
- God to fully fund us – if you did not see our end-of-year ministry finance report, please let us know
- The SILA summer school, Launch, which starts next week – for God to equip each student as needed for cross-cultural ministry, provide for the staff, and give wisdom and strength to Graham as he leads the team
- A great start to 2019
|How to Donate to Our Ministry |
Click here for electronic giving in Australia or anywhere in the world:
Monthly pledges also can be set up at:
Australian cheques can be sent to Wycliffe Australia, 70 Graham Rd,
Kangaroo Ground, VIC 3097, with a note that it is for “Graham and Ellie Scott.”
By check in the USA: Wycliffe Bible Translators P.O. Box 628200
Orlando, FL 32862; include a note that it is for us, ID#281522.
Donate online through Wycliffe USA — copy and paste this info: Graham and Ellie Scott ID#281522 into the Give to the Ministry of My Wycliffe Missionary page.
For US-based ongoing automatic giving, you can set up Bill Pay through your bank by providing Wycliffe’s name and address:
11221 John Wycliffe Blvd; Orlando, Fl 32862 – and put as a reference our missionary ID #281522 Graham and Ellie Scott.
Or call 1-800-992-5433 to speak to a Wycliffe representative.
For US Donation Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call Wycliffe USA: 1-800-992-5433
Or Donate through any Wycliffe organisation worldwide—just include a note that it is for us, Acc.#281522
For partnership information/inquiries: Wycliffe Australia
70 Graham Rd, Kangaroo Ground, VIC 3097 email@example.com
(03) 9712 277